Who we are
Womankind is a registered charity and a company limited by guarantee. The organisation was founded in 1986 and since that time has provided a range of services for women with mental health problems in the Bristol area.
To help women improve their mental health and well-being. Our hope and belief is that because of our help, women will experience a better quality of life, participate more fully in society, enjoy more fulfilling relationships and be better able to care for themselves, and where appropriate, their families.
- Womankind exists to enable women to define their own mental health needs.
- Womankind aims to improve the quality of women’s lives by helping them to become less dependent on mental health and social services.
- Womankind aims to make its services accessible to women on low incomes.
- Womankind recognises that the roots of women’s difficulties are often linked to personal life histories. We also recognise that the social and political environment in which women live affect their mental health.
- To provide ongoing support, professional therapy and therapeutic environment that is either free or affordable to women living in Bristol or the surrounding area.
- To increase the availability of psychodynamic therapy in the Bristol area by providing training and support for therapists.
- To enter into partnerships and working arrangements with other organisations to maximise the availability of support for women.
- Through judicious use of funds, to ensure our services provide best value.
Group therapy • Counselling • High intensity therapy
Befriending • Telephone helpline
Training and supervision
Volunteers • Professionals