We are currently recruiting!
Our helpline volunteers take calls and webchats from women who are having a difficult time for whatever reason.
What Volunteers Say:
“Womankind is doing amazing and essential work for women and I am incredibly proud to have the opportunity to be involved.”
“Women call us about so many different things going on in their lives — Womankind provide a space where they can talk and be heard, helping them explore their feelings.”
“The helpline gives me access to the experience of others (often difficult/traumatic) which I wouldn’t have otherwise. I find this humbling and in a way feel a sort of privilege in hearing their stories.”
“Before starting my first shift I was really apprehensive – would I be good enough? Would I be able do it? 3 years on and I’m still learning!”
“The training offers a brilliant chance to meet other newcomers with the same hopes and fears.”
“The support you get from volunteer co-ordinators is great, both at your de-brief after shift and at monthly supervision, where you get together with other volunteers.”
“There is a feeling of doing something worthwhile … although sometimes we need reminding, we are definitely making a difference (no matter how small) to women’s lives.”
Are you a good listener?
Could you offer non-judgmental support to women in distress?
Could you give 3 hours a week for your shift and 1.5 hours a month for a supervision with your fellow volunteers?
If you would like
to be part of an amazing group of women
giving support to other women
learning about yourself
and gaining valuable experience…
Become A Womankind Helpline Volunteer!
To find out more how to apply and what is involved, please click below:
Women can get in touch with us by telephone or webchat (instant messaging, online). They do so for a number of reasons, including:
- To talk about an area of difficulty in their lives, such as problems with relationships or mental health difficulties.
- To access support because they have experienced or are experiencing domestic violence.
- To access support because of rape, sexual violence and childhood sexual abuse.
- To access other services offered by Womankind such as counselling.
Callers can express high levels of distress and calls can be challenging, therefore, we are looking for volunteers who are in an emotionally resilient point in their own lives, and so able to support women in emotional distress.
The Helpline shift times are:
|Monday||9.30am – 12.30pm; 12.30 – 3.30pm; 7.30 – 10.30pm|
|Tuesday||9.30am – 12.30pm; 12.30 – 3.30pm; 7.30 – 10.30pm|
|Wednesday||9.30am – 12.30pm; 12.30 – 3.30pm|
|Thursday||9.30am – 12.30pm|
|Friday||9.30am – 12.30pm|
We generally have more available shifts for volunteering during the day time.
Our next helpline training programme will run in September 2019.
|Saturday 7th September 2019||10am-4pm|
|Monday 9th OR Tuesday 10th September 2019||Evening|
|Monday 16th OR Tuesday 17th September 2019||Evening|
|Saturday 21st September 2019||10am-4pm|
Helpline volunteers offer non-judgemental emotional support and some sign-posting, by phone and webchat. There is also some admin to do, such as taking messages and answering emails.
If you are worried that you wouldn’t be able to do the webchat, e.g. because you’re not comfortable with typing, or if you can’t use the phone (e.g. because you are deaf or hard of hearing) then we could find a way around it.
- We will support you in carrying out your role: you will get a debrief with a coordinator at the end of each shift as well as a monthly group session with your fellow volunteers where you can share your experiences and support each other
- Before you start on the helpline we provide a comprehensive training programme that is well-respected in the sector and that will also give you the opportunity to get to know your fellow volunteers
- You will have ongoing opportunities for learning in the role through weekly debrief, monthly supervision and occasional further training
- You’ll acquire great work experience if you’re interested in a job in this sector
- We offer expenses (within reason!) so that you aren’t out of pocket
- You’ll get to be part of an amazing group of women who are passionate about supporting other women!
We are looking for women who are passionate about supporting other women. Being calm and a good listener helps. You don’t need much in the way of professional experience, as we provide comprehensive training.
Click on the links below to download the forms.
If you would like to apply, please fill in both forms and email them to firstname.lastname@example.org – or post to:
Rae Pears, Womankind, 3rd Floor Brunswick Court, Brunswick Square, BRISTOL BS2 8PE
Once we have received your application forms we will contact you to discuss the interview process. All information given on the forms will be treated in confidence. Please feel free to email us or ring us if you would like to discuss any aspect of helpline volunteering.
Tel: 0345 458 2914 or 0117 9166461 (leave a message for Rae) – or email:
Or if you’d like to find out more before applying, click on the link to download a brochure: